Thursday, October 29, 2009

We're on our own, and that's okay.

     My son is sick, pretty sure it's flu. He's had a cough for about a week now, a fever that comes and goes and last night an earache. He doesn't seem too sick, but when you've heard that there have been some deaths from the flu this year, it still makes you nervous.
     It's time's like this when I wish there really was some higher power I could call on to intervene and make my child well. Ricky Gervais put it well: "I wish there was a God. It would be great. What I've heard, he's brilliant." But I have no reason to believe that there is a god, and wishing something doesn't make it so.
     Lucky for us, we live in a time when science has helped us understand how the body works, how diseases spread and what will and won't work to offer relief. Lucky for us, we evolved language and writing and technology to record and transmit knowledge. Information about how to help my son is just a few clicks away. No ancient scripture or supernatural being told us how to create computers or the internet. We experimented and figured it out.
     We are capable of solving our own problems, and the sooner we realize that there's no one in charge upstairs and it's all up to us, the better off we'll be.




Share/Bookmark

If you enjoyed this post, I hope you'll check out my new blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Religion, skepticism, and carving out a spiritual life post-Mormonism