Saturday, January 2, 2010

A disclaimer

I've been receiving emails from readers along the lines of, "I'm having such and such a problem. I don't know what to do. Can you help me?"

My answer is: I will try.

But I feel like it would be irresponsible not to disclose all of my qualifications to offer advice. So here is my qualification: I am a woman with a blog.

As you may be aware, there is a very rigorous screening process for people who want to write blogs. You must have both:
  1. An internet connection, and 
  2. A pulse.

Mainly what I do here is share my own experience, what I learned, what worked for me. I've heard from several readers that they could relate and that reading about how someone else handled a similar situation helped them. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to get messages like that. It's what gives me the motivation to keep blogging.

All I'm doing is offering my perspective. I think most readers realize this and don't take what I say as the absolute truth, but I wanted to lay it out in plain terms in case there's anyone out there who takes me too seriously.

So in the coming weeks, I'll be attempting to respond to some of these dilemmas and probably sharing some of my responses publicly on the blog. Please do not take what I say as "The Answer." I think I'm a pretty smart person, but I am a music major. I have no expertise in counseling or science or theology. And considering that I'm formulating this advice based on some cursory information left in a comment or email message, you should definitely take everything I say with a grain of salt, and always, always, always think for yourself!


Share/Bookmark

If you enjoyed this post, I hope you'll check out my new blog.