Tuesday, April 20, 2010

TED Talk Tuesday: Jane Goodall helps humans and animals live together.



In honor of Earth Week, I'm featuring one of my heroines, the incomparable Jane Goodall. In this talk she discusses her research and her conservation work. In contrast to the belief I grew up with, that man is unique and has God-given dominion over all other life on earth, she says, "There is no sharp line between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom. It's a very blurry line and it's getting more blurry all the time as we make even more observations."


She also discusses the difficulties faced by people in the developing world, and what we can do to help. Microloans and education, especially for women, are some of the most effective means of empowering these people. I would encourage you to support programs such as Kiva and Women for Women International. Jane's memoir Reason for Hope inspired me to make dozens of changes in my everyday life for the sake of our planet. Recycle. Take the bus. Reduce the amount of meat in your diet. It makes a difference. Our planet is so beautiful, and she's the only home we have. Please let's take good care of her.




Share/Bookmark

If you enjoyed this post, I hope you'll check out my new blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Religion, skepticism, and carving out a spiritual life post-Mormonism