Sunday, December 6, 2009

Episcopalians Elect Lesbian Bishop

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Los Angeles Episcopalians elected an openly lesbian bishop late Saturday, the denomination's news service reported.


The Rev. Mary Douglas Glasspool, 55, will become the first openly gay bishop in the Episcopal Church since Gene Robinson took office in New Hampshire in 2004, if she is formally approved.


The Rev. Canon Kendall Harmon, canon theologian from the Diocese of South Carolina, opposed to the election, said it "represents an intransigent embrace of a pattern of life Christians throughout history and the world have rejected as against biblical teaching," according to the Episcopal Church site.


I must say, when I see churches throwing out the Bible as an absolute source of authority, I feel hopeful. I think it's the type of healthy religious reform that's going to contribute to real progress.


Link to full story.



Share/Bookmark

If you enjoyed this post, I hope you'll check out my new blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Religion, skepticism, and carving out a spiritual life post-Mormonism