Tuesday, November 10, 2009

TED Talk Tuesday: John Lloyd inventories the invisible

Happy Tuesday, readers! As a new weekly feature, I'll be selecting and sharing a TED Talk that I think is particularly interesting. This week: John Lloyd inventories the invisible. Not surprisingly, among the invisible, God comes up, though only briefly. As Mr. Lloyd wisely states, "I refuse to be drawn on the question of whether God exists until someone properly defines the term." Steven Weinberg said something similar: "If you want to say 'God is energy,' then you can find God in a lump of coal."

Some people like to say that God is everywhere. Matter and energy are everywhere, yes. If that's how you want to define God, then, sure, God is everywhere. But I think most people define God as a superior intelligent being who answers prayers and forgives sins and intervenes in human affairs, and, well, the evidence for that isn't so good.


Share/Bookmark

If you enjoyed this post, I hope you'll check out my new blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Religion, skepticism, and carving out a spiritual life post-Mormonism